Search This Blog

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Low Sodium Apple Glazed and Stuffed Pork Chops

One of favorite dishes, even though I haven't made it in awhile.

INGREDIANTS

4 pork chops

Stuffing:
1 1/2 teas chopped onion
2 Tbl olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 Tbl chopped celery
1 teas chopped celery leaves
pepper to taste

Glaze/Marinade:
4 granny smith apples, cored and chopped
1 (8oz) can crushed pineapple
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup dijon mustard
1/4 cup water
2Tbl honey
2 teas garlic, chopped
1 teas onion powder
1 teas cayenne pepper

DIRECTIONS:

1. Place all glaze ingredients in a large saucepan.  Bring to boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the apples are tender, about 15 minutes.  Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature, then puree in a blender until smooth.  Place the pork chops into a resealable plastic bag, and pour the apple puree overtop.  Marinate in the refrigerator overnight.

2.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

3.  In a large skillet saute onion in olive oil until tender.  Remove from heat.  Add the bread crumbs, apples, and celery.  Mix all together.  Cut a large pocket in the side of each pork chop.  Spoon apple mixture loosely into pockets

4.  In non-stick skillet (or cast iron skillet), heat oil to medium high and brown chops on both sides.  Place browned chops in an ungreased 9x13 inch baking dish (or leave in cast iron skillet).  Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.  Remove cover and bake for 30 minutes longer or until juices run clear.

6 comments:

  1. Hi there! I stumbled on your blog looking for other low sodium websites. Wonderful recipes! I was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease in 2004 and put on a strict low sodium diet. It was a really tough transition for me. I'm in my 30s, also a wife and a mother of 2. Cooking tasty salt free food has become my passion (much like you!) In 2007 I launches a salt free/low sodium recipe site called The Daily Dish (www.thedailydish.us) -- and just today made pork chops!! The first time in forever! But they're so fast and tasty, I'll have to try out some of your versions now too!! Anyway, just wanted to say Hi! SO - HI! And keep up the great work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'll have to check out your site! I'm always on the look out for new tasty recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well we were going to have just plain old pork chops for dinner, I think I will surprise the household and try your recipe, sounds really nice, will get back to you from the judges :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alicia, this recipe sounds so good. I think the combination of pork and apple is always a hit. I also like the addition of vinegar & mustard. I hope to try it soon, but I've got to make a trek to Costco. I usually buy one of those whole pork loins and then cut it up into chops & roasts for freezing. I do the same with a whole beef tenderloin and the giant packs of pork tenderloins. One trip results in enough meat for at least six months. Now I'm out and have got to replenish my stock.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there - I can't wait to make these -- they sound so good. Question though - after pork chops are done marinading, are you done w/the marinade or do you cook it w/the pork chops? Thanks so much for this recipe. My husband was diagnosed with idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy (heart failure) so am always on the lookout for low to no sodium recipes. He's restricted to 500 mgs of sodium a day but he's still holding onto to fluids :(... Thank you again! Cheryl

    ReplyDelete