Search This Blog

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Low-Sodium Chili

I love chili, but Ed doesn't.  So this recipe is mostly for me, but I kept it low sodium out of principle.

INGREDIENTS
1 onion, chopped
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1 lb ground beef (low fat)
1 Tbl minced garlic
1 beer
2 14.5oz can low sodium diced tomatoes
1 8oz can low sodium tomato sauce
1/8 teas cayenne
1/8 teas paprika
1 teas oregano
1 teas all-purpose salt free seasoning
2 Tbl chili powder
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed (to remove some of the sodium)
1 cup corn, fresh/frozen

DIRECTIONS
Stove: Saute the onion, red pepper, meat, and garlic.  Add remaining ingrediants, heat to boiling, and simmer for 1 hr.

Crockpot: Saute the onion, red pepper, meat, and garlic. Add remaining ingrediants, cook on low 8-10hrs or on high 4hrs

NUTRIENTS
haven't figured out yet

4 comments:

  1. MMMM that looks so yummy. My hubby has recently been put on a low sodium diet, so this would be perfect. I will leave out the beans though since hubby is SUPER picky and hates beans, but the rest sounds perfect. I hadn't try to make a low sodium chili yet and thanks to you I dont have to think so hard to make one!Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! I'm just happy to make the transition easier for someone else. We had many disappointing meals before I got the hang of low sodium cooking. If you come up with any good recipes I'd love to have you share them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean by disappointing meals. My husband as I said is super picky so I have to work around that also.... it can be discouraging to cook for hours and sit down only to have him not like what I cook. Or something that sounds great in my head I cook for hours and it tastes funny when you eat it. When I get a good recipe I will definitely come and let you know :) So far spaghetti and hamburgers were the easiest to switch over to low sodium....I know not the healthiest but we will get there.....first it is getting the salt taste out of our mouth :) Also I made a no sodium Italian dressing he likes....at this point it is the small victories! Merry Christmas to you guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natasha, would you mind sharing the recipe for the Italian dressing? I would love to have something other than olive oil and balsamic vinegar on my salads. :)

    ReplyDelete