Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Low-Sodium Mexican-Style Meatloaf

I've been on a southwestern kick since visiting Tucson last week.  Tonight I decided to make mexican meatloaf, something Ed and I had talked about since the diaster of trying to use tortilla crumbs in Italian meatballs.  I made it up based on an old meatloaf recipe and my taco meat recipe.  It turned out pretty tasty... I think next time I'll kick up the spices.

INGREDIANTS
1.5 lb lean ground beef
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup tortilla crumbs
1 egg
1/4 vidalia onion, chopped
1/4 red pepper, chopped
1/4 cup salsa
2 T minced garlic
1 teas salt-free all purpose spice
3/4 teas cilantro
3/4 teas cumin
1 teas pepper
cheddar cheese

DIRECTIONS
preheat oven to 350F
combine all ingrediants except cheddar cheese in a large bowl using your hands. 
Place meat into a loaf pan and shape into a loaf
Cook in oven for 60 min to 90 min, or until internal temperature reaches 160F
Sprinkle top with cheddar cheese, and continue cooking till cheese melts
Serve with salsa and sour cream

NUTRIENTS
USDA database is down so I can't post nutrition yet

1 comment:

  1. This sounds really good. I just happen to have some frozen ground tortilla chips. One weekend when my son & his family were visiting, we had a family get together. Everyone ended up bringing unsalted tortilla chips & dip. I couldn't bring myself to throw the leftover chips away, so I ground them up and froze them to use as a breading. But I really like your idea of using them as the binder for a Mexican inspired meatloaf. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete